Acidity is one of the major and yet most common problem these days, affecting not just the elderly but the young and children as well.
Acidity can be caused due to many reasons, ranging from high caffeine consumption to late dinners and leaving it untreated can only aggravate the symptoms only worsening the condition.
So, sharing some of the causes and the solutions for the same and also some quick tips and home-remedies to improve digestion and get rid of the annoying abdominal discomfort.
1. REDUCE CAFFEINE CONSUMPTION: Most of the people start their day with tea and coffee. Taking these foods empty stomach aggrevates symptoms and can worsen in most cases. As a solution, one can consume tea or coffee post their breakfast or better to avoid completely until the symptoms are better.
2. MILK CONSUMPTION: The fat present in milk buffers the stomach acid and stimulates the stomach to produce more acid. So, if you suffer from acidity, it is advised to reduce or totally stop consumption of milk until the symptoms are better.
3. SMALL FREQUENT MEALS: Long time gaps between meals can cause digestive acids to be released in the stomach which will alter the pH in the stomach and aggravates acidity. So, it is advised to take small frequent meals in a gap of 2.5 to 3 hours.
4. REDUCE FRIED, SPICY AND HIGH CALORIE FOODS: Consuming higher calories in a single meal, be it in higher portion, or fried foods that are high on calories are heavy on the digestive system. So, it is better to avoid or limit the intake of fried, spicy and high calorie food items.
5. AVOID PACKAGED AND PROCESSED FOODS: These foods are high on calories, preservatives, synthetic ingredients, sugar and low on nutrition. These are heavy on the stomach to digest, altering the natural gut flora leading to indigestion and eventually acidity.
6. EARLY AND LIGHT DINNERS: As the day sets, the body metabolism starts to drop, which leads to reduction in the digestion capacity. And, consuming dinner just before bed time, will leave the food undigested leading to Acidity. So, it is advised to take light dinners, which are home-cooked, easy to digest and to be consumed at least 2.5-3 hours before bedtime or right before bedtime.
7. STAYING HYDRATED: Consuming adequate amount of water and staying hydrated will ensure the body is toxin free, facilitating a good digestive system.
8. RIGHT TIME OF DRINKING WATER: There are many people who drink water just before, while eating and immediately after the meal which alters the pH in the stomach leading to indigestion and causing acidity. So, it is important to not drink water 30 minutes before, after and while eating food.
9. CHEW YOUR FOOD: The digestion of the food begins in the mouth where the food particles are broken down completely which when swallowed makes it easier for nutrient absorption.
1. If you suffer from severe acidity or indigestion issues, then a good solution to improve your digestive system will be to suck and chew 1 cardamom and 1 clove after every meal. Alternatively, you can also take 1/2 tsp cumin seeds or carom seeds 20 minutes post every meal and drink a glass of warm water.
2. Chewing and swallowing 1/2 tsp green fennel seeds, along with a glass of warm water, empty stomach in the morning, also helps in increasing digestive capacity.
3. If you are suffering from abdominal pain due to acidity, then you can apply cold-pressed virgin castor oil to your abdomen to relieve the symptoms. This has to be done before going to bed.
4. Another quick solution from the abdominal pain is, 1tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp carom seeds, a pinch of pink salt, rub them together between your palm, chew and then drink a glass of warm water.
These are a few tips and remedies that you can use, to stay away from acidity and indigestion.